Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Greater Lakes

My newest series Greater Lakes is now online on my website. I am very happy with this body of work from my second home Australia.


Here is the artist statement for Greater Lakes:

There is an area in Australia called the Great Lakes, on lands traditionally owned by the Worimi and Biripi
nations and presently centred around the twin townships of Forster and Tuncurry. When I went there for the first time in 2004, I fell in love with it, it is my second home, the place where my parents-in-law live.
Today it is a paradise for people who are retired and want to live the best life they can imagine. Most of the year it is a very quiet, peaceful little place, situated in nature's paradise, with dream like white sandy beaches and the big salt water lakes, home of many wildlife animals, beautiful colorful birds and native australian plants. The biggest decision is walking near the lake or walking near the beach. The retired people live their peaceful life and not much in the way of nightlife exists in this part of world.
Then there is the other part of year, during the summer, when it is a popular place for people from Sydney and other parts of Australia to spend their holidays. Every available space is filled with young people with their noise and energy, they take over and you are suddenly in a different world. As soon as the holidays are over, the area is again quiet and peaceful.
This is a portrait of the area I love and enjoy whenever I am there.

Please check out Greater Lakes here









© copyright all images Michael Werner

No comments: